Sunday, May 21, 2017

The Indoor Window Box Project

I have a large (muntinless) window in my stairwell. Very big, very open. I knew during building that I did not want blinds installed like I did on almost all the other windows. I wanted something more unusual, more rustic, a piece of character. I built wood shutters to be placed in. I loved them...however, there was still a sense of emptiness. Something was missing. I have been thinking about what to place around the shutters to help complete the look. A wreath? No. I have 3 indoor wreaths, 4 seemed too much. Wall hanging on either side of the shutter doors? No...too much. Then it hit me. I wanted an indoor window box. Something small, slender, and light-weight. Something I can stick in simple foliage that won't impede the functionality of the shutters. So, I quickly figured out this would be something I would have to make. Goody, a project.

Very easy. I needed balsa wood. Something inexpensive, very light, easy to place in the window, and thin enough there will still be room to place plants. 31"L x 2.5"W x 3"D. $4 a piece of wood. I already had stain and paint. I did buy plants and floral arrangement styrofoam specifically for this project. I needed some plants specifically narrow and wide. Fill it up without spilling over. Wood and plants both purchased at Hobby Lobby.

All said and done, my indoor window box is complete! Please be forgiving with the odd pictures. This window is so bright, it was very difficult to get a good shot without washing everything out.








Super easy and affordable. Coming down the stairs the next house gives my window an "exposed brick" view and coming up the stairs you get nothing but blue sky and clouds. Not bad either way. My stairwell is happy.


*Have you followed Design on the Side on instagram? Nothing but pictures of my little decor collections and inspirations! @designontheside


M.LEWIS

No comments:

Post a Comment